Saturday, October 25, 2008

Chinese bakeries in Auckland

For those that are into sweets, bakeries and the like I've decided to post some of the asian bakeries here in Auckland. I remember googling asian bakeries in Auckland but there isn't much of a description on the type of food sold there. Hence here is little extract of what is available especially if you crave for something back home.

There are a few asian bakeries around in Auckland that has grown over the last few years. Classic Bake house would be my favorite because of the varieties and thier soft bread. There are 3 of these located in Greenlane, Northcote and Highland Park. My favourite there would be Pork floss roll, banana cake with a sponge layer outside, taro and pudding bread, Tuna bun and thier other speciality cakes. Thier bread is soft and the cakes are not too sweet. They also sell kuays, cream puffs, sponge cake, cheese cakes and the usual polo, red bean, taro buns. This bakery is owned by a Malaysian and reminds me of the bakeries like Bread Talk and Bread Story back home in Singapore/Malaysia. I really like it and it's quite bad because I would use to go there everyday just for the pork floss bun..now it's probably once a week because it's not on the way!

Rio bakery in Meadowlands has nice taro pork floss bun and otherwise they have similar cakes and bread with Classic Bakery. I think this is a taiwanese type bakery.

New Market Choice bakery has nice chestnut sponge cake which has a layer of chestnut paste in the middle and cost $2.10 for a piece. Thier Japanese cheesecake is also not bad although it's not sweet for me. They sell mooncakes and sometimes in the morning steam buns and siew mais. I like thier red bean paste bun because it is not full of "beans". They also have cute little chicken and tuna pies. This bakery is more towards the Hong Kong style bread.

Dominion Road Well done bakery is also not bad too, I use to buy thier taro pork floss bomb everyday before work just to satisfy my greed...when you bite into the bun the taro paste n pork floss goes together so well. Other than that, i think thier other bread is too hard not as soft and smooth as Classic Bakery. This is a taiwanese bakery. Well done bakery sells thier bread in some Star Mart located in the city as well. The costs of their bread is higher than other bakeries.

Along the same road but further away from the city is Focus Bakery which I seldom visit because it's quite far and I guess there is nothing there that stands out that I can't get from another bakery. However, it's good to know so many bakeries exists and are everywhere.

1 and a half years ago, I found a new bakery near my place called Good Luck Bakery which looked very run down and catered to the locals selling the usual sandwiches and pies. I went in and was surprised to see they sell asian breads too! Here I reckon they are good for their wife/lo por beng and mooncakes. This is owned by a taiwanese. It is just located along Manukau Road opposite Pak n save. I come here often during mooncake festival because they sell freshly made mooncakes and thier wife biscuit is not very sweet. (This is no longer there and is now a normal bakery)

There are also bakeries that are located within chinese supermarkets such as Silver Bell in Dominion Road, Tai Ping on Dominion Road, T Mart in New Market and Tofu Shop which sells Ma lai Ko (Malay sponge cake) and other kuays.

And today I found a new bakery:
Went for dinner at Meadowlands and noticed there was a new cafe opened there. It's called Baking Castle and they basically sold the same bread as other asian bakeries with one or two "different" bread. Other than that it did not stand out as much as Classic Bakery which is my favourite Asian Bakery. It was very quiet because the lady at the counter was sleeping with her head down on the table and when I walked in the ding dong sound went off and I suppose that was her que to wake up ;)



I bought a red bean pastry thing and the pastry tasted like it was left out for ages. Really disappointed.

The number of asian bakeries have grown over the years. I remember the times when Classic Bakery was the only asian bakery I knew in Auckland but now it's everywhere! You really don't have to go back home to satisfy alot of cravings now.

Classic Bakehouse:

1 Marewa Road, Greenlane
1-33 Pearn Road, Northcote
329 Aviemore Road, Highland Park

Well Done Bakery
:
283 Dominion Road, Mt Eden

Choice Bakery:
8 Teed St, New Market

Rio Kitchen
B5-125 Meadowland Drive, Howick

Good Luck Bakery:
774 Manukau Road, Royal Oak

Bakers Castle:

Meadowland Drive, Howick

Focus Bakery:
867-875 Dominion Road, Mt Roskill

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post! Will try those bakeries out =)

Sweetcraze said...

coolios! let me know what u like so I can give it a try too!!!

DoopsieOopsie said...

Oh good! I love this post. Just what I was looking for. I'm going to print this out and visit every single one of them! yay! :)

augustchild said...

thanks, very helpful!

Unknown said...

Thanx a lot it was quite informative. I would like to know the contact # for wel done bakery limited . thanx in advance

Sweetcraze said...

Hey there, well done bakery ltd is located on 283 Dominion Rd Mt Eden Auckland
Phone number is 09-630 1638

Enjoy!

Ari & Ike said...

Hi - would you know where i could get some Malaysian layer cake on the north shore please? they used to sell it at two asian grocers but the suppliers moved down south (auckland)...
great blog by the way

Sweetcraze said...

Hey Ari I'm so sorry about the late reply I've been out of the country! I'm not sure of where to get malaysian cakes in North Shore as I'm no longer living in Auckland but there doesnt seem to have much there as I can recall...go over to the east side =)

Anonymous said...

Ah great post! It was super helpful XD Thank you

Sweetcraze said...

This post was written like 3 years ago so since being in Sydney I'm not sure if there are any changes to the asian bakeries.

Please update me so that I can go to the new ones when I'm back.

Being back last month my favourite Classic and Rio is still there, so is well done bakery so doesn't look like much has changed!

Unknown said...

The top the best nw the mordern style bakery in auckland is name called LA COUROONE CAKE BOUTIQUE .its located in city central ..so crOwed everytime i go there..its combination of asisn style and west...go check it out...add:5 lorn st. Auckland CBD

Anonymous said...

I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates. cupcakes mobile al